A Career With Office for National Statistics
Discover Office for National Statistics
Deputy Director, Cloud Infrastructure and Technical Design (Permanent)
Location: Remote (anywhere in the UK)
Salary: £71,000 – £90,000 per annum
The ideal profile of the candidate
The Cloud Architecture Divisional Director is a critical role within the Digital Services and Technology (DST) Senior Team which will provide the Technical Architectural advice and leadership across all digital products and services. Working in line with Her Majesty’s Government’s (HMG) Cloud strategy and the ONS Digital and Technology strategy, this role will continue the ONS’s role to lead the public sector’s adoption and exploitation of cloud native solutions, driving value and putting the customer needs at the heart of their approach. Digital Services and Technology division provides the underpinning infrastructure, products, and services to deliver all statistical and business outputs for the ONS. Over the last two years the ONS has made significant progress moving a vast amount of our technology estate to commodity cloud environments, and our shared vision is to continue this journey.
You will be responsible for:
- Leading and developing the Cloud Architecture and Technical Design teams for successful deployment to assist wider programmes of work within DST and ONS programmes.
- Developing and implementing a cloud adoption plan in line with DST and HMG Cloud approach and the ONS Digital and Technology Strategy and manage the adoption process.
- Regularly evaluating cloud applications, hardware, and software and present opportunities to DST Senior Team to drive innovation and maintain best practice.
- Leading the division to develop and maintain effective cloud governance and assurance
including effective monitoring and alerting.
- Collaborating with Information Assurance to provide securable and monitorable solutions.
- Managing financial resources to ensure probity, optimise outcomes and secure cost efficiency.
- Maintaining highly effective relationships with any third parties (cloud vendors, solution providers, suppliers) the ONS works with regularly to ensure smooth procurement, delivery and support of products and services.
- Managing and promoting the work of DST with external stakeholders such as the Cabinet Office and other government departments and agencies ensuring that ONS maintains its high profile within the cloud development, architecture and practice.
- Providing outstanding leadership to team members and relevant Communities of Practice,
including opportunities for coaching and development, to maximise work output and work
- Providing visible and transparent technology decisions and represent activity to the Design
Authority on current and planned cloud initiatives.
- Providing direction and support to senior managers and staff within the directorate and
wider, including sponsorship of a Community of Practice.
You will also have:
- Experience of leading diverse teams requiring cultural and structural transformation to business technologies and processes.
- Extensive knowledge and practical understanding of public cloud infrastructures and DevOps techniques, tool chains and processes.
- Excellent stakeholder and relationship management skills, including proactive engagement with external suppliers.
- An ability to influence and persuade others both inside and outside of the organisation to overcome conflict and optimise engagement.