Yoto is an interactive audio platform founded by experienced entrepreneurs that aims to change the way children access audio content. The Yoto ecosystem revolves around a curated library of stories, music, activities, sound effects, podcasts and radio. Children listen to the content on Yoto Player, a safely connected speaker that is controlled using physical cards with NFC technology. Additionally, the Yoto App allows parents to retain a level of control, enabling volume control, remote play and more.
We launched our first hardware product, Yoto Player, on Kickstarter in November 2017, reaching its funding target after only 5 days, and receiving a Red Dot Design award in the process. The product shipped for Christmas 2018 to a great customer reaction. Our partners include Roald Dahl Story Company, Penguin Random House, Hachette, Macmillan, Harper Collins, Naxos, Storynory and more. Luke Kelly, grandson of Roald Dahl and MD of the Roald Dahl Story Company, is on our board, and we are well-funded – backed by leading investors.
At the start of 2020, having worked with Pentagram on the redesign of the product and our brand, we relaunched Yoto Player. Since then, and despite certain major world events, sales have been doubling (and sometimes tripling) MOM, we’ve launched UK and US websites, won multiple awards including TIME’s Best Invention 2020, had a tonne of good press across the world and started to build some great buzz.
We’re looking for someone excited about (embedded) software development without necessarily having previous commercial experience or formal education in this area. All you need is a good level of programming skills and a desire to learn.
Initially your task will be to help out with feature and release testing and technical troubleshooting to cover for our QA engineer on maternity leave.
This will provide you with the opportunity to acquire a deep understanding of the Yoto Platform as well as the team’s development practices, and spend some time improving your coding skills. You would be expected to gradually move into a developer role and start contributing to the team’s code base within 6-12 months.
Although we don’t have a formal training programme in place, your team will provide you with plenty of feedback, guidance and opportunities to learn.
This is a hybrid working role – you’ll be expected to work from our London King’s Cross office regularly – ideally 1-2 days a week (or more).
- Support the Yoto OS team with QA of features and upcoming releases
- Collaborate with Customer support team to provide technical support and advice
- Debug/troubleshoot existing code to reproduce reported issues
- Grow into a skilled embedded SW developer
- Basic understanding of programming principles
- Strong desire and ability to learn on the spot as well as on your own
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Attention to detail and methodological approach to testing
You’d impress us with any of the following:
- Passion for clean and robust code following good development principles (SOLID, DRY, KISS, YAGNI, TDD)
- Experience with C/C++ development and/or microcontroller based systems (especially within a RTOS environment)
- Understanding of QA processes and testing frameworks (e.g. Robot Framework)
- Understanding of development and release lifecycles, CI/CD flows
- Python fluency
What we offer in return:
- Competitive salary
- 25 days holidays
- Generous EMI share options – we’re all invested in Yoto’s success
- Hybrid working with Central London office in Kings Cross
- Annual company retreat, Yotofest and lots of other socials
- Exciting ride in a fast-growth start-up
We’re a Series A tech company with a well-funded and fast-growing international team.
Our offices are in London and New York, and in 2022 we’ll be expanding further into Europe. We have in-house expertise in hardware and software, technology development, product, marketing, commercial and retail.
We’re excited to build and develop a tight-knit and energetic team to help make Yoto the next great family brand!
Yoto spans the kids’ audio, tech, entertainment and edtech industries, and our products have won awards in innovation, play and education categories. Time Magazine even named Yoto Player one of the Best Inventions of 2020.
Our Card Store includes 700+ titles from the world’s best rights-holders including Disney, Penguin Random House, Mattel, Harper Collins and Sony Music. We also produce our own Yoto Originals, often with award-winning collaborators.
Flexible working and autonomy are key to life at Yoto. We support working parents because we know that life and work need to work together. And just as we share audio content from a diverse community of creators, we also strive to build an inclusive team. Our passionate D&I group raises new voices, beliefs and perspectives to help everyone at Yoto feel heard. Check out our website for more info on our approach to D&I.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE